The past couple of months have been a disaster as far as my fitness and diet is concerned. I've completely fallen off the bandwagon, got pretty lazy and skipped the gym, and even hit an all time low when I ate.... a microwave meal! Dun dun dun! It's not the end of the world though. My body fat % has crept up to 24% but I know exactly how to get back down and there's no time like the present. I have a week off work with no real plans so I intend to hit the gym hard and eat 100% clean (apart from Gordon's birthday dinner!) and try my best to keep it up once I'm back at work.
I've re-organised my gym bag in preparation for the week so I thought I'd share some of my essentials with you...
1. The bag - this Nike baby from Sports Direct has lasted a few years now. It's pretty big so I can fit in my lunch as well as my gym gear when I have to take it to work!
2. Trainers - my trusty old Nikes. The 1st pair I bought when I started going to circuit classes 3-4 years ago. I have to admit they're getting a bit scabby and I do have a newer pair of pink Nikes but I still love these. Take note of the colour scheme...
3. Swimming costume - I got this one from Bravissimo as I was total paranoid about escaping boobage so need the extra support!
4. Swimming goggles - complete with teeth marks from a teething Harley! I can't open my eyes underwater and refuse to be one of those head bobbing swimmers, so these are a necessity. My swimming is better and faster underwater anyway. These ones are a Speedo pair from Sports Direct. I usually aim to swim half a mile in less than 30 minutes after the gym. Or a whole mile in less than an hour if it isn't post workout!
5. Music - No gym sesh is complete without music! You can find my top gym tunes here. I absolutely hate forgetting my iPod so I tend to keep it in my gym bag with this arm band. None of my gym clothes have pockets so this is the only way. I've just bought this Lorna Jane one to fit my new iPhone in!
6. Training plans - I kept my "homework" and plans from my personal trainer in a folder in my gym bag. I don't always follow them completely, in fact I rarely use them now, but they're handy when you get to the gym feeling uninspired and need a kick up the bum.
*Note for any grammar police: "Dailly" is not a spelling mistake!
7. Gloves - Yep I'm a total girl and wear gloves for weight training! The skin on my hands goes all hard and sore if I don't. These ones are from Avon.
8. Handwraps - For all the boxing I do. Okay, I haven't been to my boxing class for months but these are a massive help when I do! They protect your hands and actually make boxing gloves feel comfier. I got mine from my class trainer but you can buy them online.
9. Polar FT4 - Last but not least, my heart rate monitor! I feel naked exercising without it. It can even be worn underwater so I use it all the time to keep track of my heart rate while I work out and calculate how many calories I've burned. This is a pretty basic version but it's all I need... Yeah, yeah, let's not pretend I didn't pick it for the colour. Pretty much all my gym gear is black and pink, god knows why but I can't help it. The cheapest place I've found to buy Polar watches is Amazon.
Obviously there is more that I use regularly - water bottle, yoga mat, kettlebells, towels, sports bra (always!) - but these are just some of the things that live in my bag. What do you keep in yours?
Would anyone be interested in seeing what I wear to the gym at some point?