I've only recently taken up yoga and am still getting the hang of it. I'm no expert and I think it'll be a while before I feel comfortable enough practising it on my own but I'm really enjoying my Monday night classes. It's not for everyone but I find it helps me to relax and unwind, and I always leave class with a smile on my face. There's so many benefits to yoga that I thought I'd share a few that I've experienced...
- Relieves Stress - Maybe it's down to focusing on your breath or maybe it's just switching off from your phone/TV/laptop/world for an hour? I don't know, but it works.
- Stretches Sore Muscles - I love a good stretch to lengthen out my muscles when they're tight and sore from training.
- Improves Flexibility - The more you practise, the more you'll be able to bend and flow easily. Your muscles will get used to the poses and you'll get deeper into them every time.
- Aids Digestion (!) - When my belly feels sore and bloated, I make sure I don't skip yoga! Your abdominal organs are stimulated by loads of yoga poses, but twists especially give everything a good squeeze and massage your abdomen to get everything working. Less stress also means less tummy problems so I guess it all links together!
- Relieves Back Pain (!) - The biggest benefit for me! I noticed a difference from my very first class. Lower back pain is something I've struggled with for a while, particularly during core exercises and sometimes even just after a long day on my feet at work. I can be struggling with it all day, go to a yoga class, and leave pain free!
- Helps You Relax and Rest - I always sleep better after a class :)
Why do you love yoga?